Halloween is spooky, cute, funny and furry! That’s right, furry! Whether or not your pet stays home to greet trick-or-treaters or hits the street with the kids, we have some safety tips for a smooth night.
- Don’t feed your pets Halloween candy; keep dog treats handy instead! Many candies we consume contain xylitol (a common sugar substitute found in sugar-free candies and gum) and chocolate is toxic to our pets and some also contain caffeine.
- Make sure your pets identification is updated and on your pet (microchip, collar and ID tag) in case he or she manages to run outside while you’re distracted with trick-or-treaters.
- Keep lit candles and jack-o-lanterns out of reach of pets; consider a safer alternative such as battery operated candles.
- If you plan to dress your pet up this Halloween, be sure your pet is comfortable! Take time to get your pet accustomed to the costume before Halloween, and never leave your pet unsupervised while he or she is wearing a costume.
- Keep glow sticks away from your pets. The liquid in found in these sticks is not toxic, however it tastes terrible and will make your pet salivate excessively. If your pet does eat or bite on of these you offer fresh water immediately.
- If your pet is wary of strangers or has a tendency to bite, keep him or her in another room during trick-or-treating hours to allow your pet to feel safe as well as keep the kiddos on your doorstep.
- Keep your pets inside on Halloween to keep them safe on this busy night, including outdoor cats. Halloween brings a lot of noises and bustle and can easily frighten pets causing them to run away.